It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:28 am 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
Ray Dolor wrote:
It seems to me that the only places aside from N. county where there are actual trails, and not dirt utility truck roads, where cyclists are actually encouraged is in the Laguna Mountain National Recreation Area and on some of the trails in Cuyamaca State Park.
Everywhere else, it looks like there is a trend to criminalize trail riding by bicycle.

I'm not saying cut that Stravahole some slack, but he and his ilk are not totally responsible for the anti-bike agenda in San Diego. The Usual Suspects are still at it, and every single bike shop in town that counts mtb's as a significant share of their sales stands to feel the effect of this trend to criminalize mountain bicycle use.

Of course, you can always buy a 5,000 buck mtb to ride on the dirt roads they call "trails".....

Umm, can you please tell me where you can get a bike for 5k. I'd like to save some money for a new Rzc helicopter next time…

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 am 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

jSatch wrote:
Canaan wrote:
According to a City Council staffer today, the closure is going to be effected by DF&G. DF&G is going to have to hurry and get their signs up, because as of yesterday there were none.

there is a parallel thread at mtbr. there were suggestions to organize a large group ride, large enough to disturb the usual hiker, jogger population at mtrp for a short period, say at the ever popular cowels. hand out flyers to the effect:

"get me out of here,
please tell the rangers to keep spring canyon trails open"

also for locals to hand out flyers at the underpass of 52/spring regarding the new rules and when the next mtrp meeting is.

these actions may need to take place prior to signage. harder to reverse then, if it is not too late already.

Yeah, that'll work…. To get Cowels closed to all mountain biking.

Yesterday I had to go out to Grossmont College on some football related business. Just for fun I stopped off at MTRP and asked about this immenant closure. I was told there are no plans to close any trails at the moment…

But the trail closure might be classified, or it might be temporary and for some other preventative purpose. Who knows…

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:58 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
DWill wrote:

not so sure. ocd, an avid trails advocate at mtrp, raised questions in an mtrp meeting regarding 'just where do you suppose those displaced mtn bikers will go when the spring trails are closed?'

DWill wrote:
Yesterday I had to go out to Grossmont College on some football related business. Just for fun I stopped off at MTRP and asked about this immenant closure. I was told there are no plans to close any trails at the moment…

But the trail closure might be classified, or it might be temporary and for some other preventative purpose. Who knows…

so far the responses from 'sources' are all over the map. i hope you're correct on this d.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

jSatch wrote:
DWill wrote:

not so sure. ocd, an avid trails advocate at mtrp, raised questions in an mtrp meeting regarding 'just where do you suppose those displaced mtn bikers will go when the spring trails are closed?'

DWill wrote:

so far the responses from 'sources' are all over the map. i hope you're correct on this d.

I hope so as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 222 thanks
Received: 353 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal, Mojo HD
Favorite Trails: Winter Park, CO
ride00 wrote:
I have called DF&G using the number given above. The woman helping me could not verify this to be true at all. She said that there is currently no record of such a closure. However, that she is not certain and that she needs to check with some of the more senior members to verify. She has taken my contact information and is going to get back to me with more information.

I mentioned to her that I was using the trails and ran into some others on the trail that told me of an impending trail closure in 3 weeks or so.

I'll let you know what I find out..

I would like to start by saying I have no idea if it is true about these trails being closed- I hope that they are not going to close. Truth is these trails aren't really even the best trails by any means, but they are trails and single track trails at that. I would not be surprised if they did close, would anyone really be that surprised. anyway..

I have just returned from a field trip to the DF&G office whose address is listed earlier in this thread. The department of fish and games office has no knowledge of any of these areas planned closure. I have not received my follow up phone call from earlier, but don't worry I'll keep ya posted.

I do understand that it is very likely that it is actually planned, but that they are not talking about it yet.

The following 2 users would like to thank ride00 for his or her post:
Earache, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:14 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 325 thanks
Received: 229 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz LTC, KTM 300
Favorite Trails: big laguna
I just talked with one of the Rangers at the visitor center and he said they will be putting up signs as early as next week. He said that they're mandated because of the planning process to curtail illegal use of the land. I asked him why he couldn't keep the user bilt and user maintained trail system that is so badly needed in the area open. The Ranger ignored my comment. There some good ideas here about creating mayhem over at Cowles Mountain, also start calling the visitor center and talking to the Ranger, use up some of his time make your complaints,get involved.

The following 4 users would like to thank racerbill for his or her post:
Canaan, Earache, ride00, rob240z
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Huntrologist wrote:
rob240z wrote:
Huntrologist wrote:
Is this the same Chris Campbell that works at Ashford University?

Indeed, it is.

USAC # 171242?

I'm sure the governing body would be interested to hear what he is up to.

usa cycling

Last edited by jSatch on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:16 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 429 thanks
Received: 314 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
The reason the dolts at MTRP are not saying they are closing any trails is simple. They never opened any. Their perspective: Mtbikers have been trespassing, now lets stop them :?

I say we have regularly scheduled ride at the grasslands loop. How about 100+ riders all taking some wonderful laps on that glorious trail network :mrgreen:

Last edited by mtbchip on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 222 thanks
Received: 353 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal, Mojo HD
Favorite Trails: Winter Park, CO
well.. that sucks! I really wanted to believe, but knew damn well we were fucked. So long for now spring canyon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
:(

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2958 thanks
Received: 769 thanks
Bike(s): Rune
Favorite Trails: I like trails
mtbchip wrote:
The reason the dolts at MTRP are not saying they are closing any trails is simple. They never opened any. Their perspective: Mtbikers have been trespassing, now lets stop them :?

This is outside of park boundaries though, so why would they care? Unless, however, there's another agenda that hasn't come to light. I'm really interested to know what MTRP's angle is here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
rob240z wrote:
mtbchip wrote:

This is outside of park boundaries though, so why would they care? Unless, however, there's another agenda that hasn't come to light. I'm really interested to know what MTRP's angle is here.

It's currently outside of park boundaries, but the area is part a proposed expansion of the park, known as the East Elliott Expansion. I'm not sure what the timeframe is for the expansion, but "decommissioning" any existing social trails may be on their to-do list and could be what's driving the current situation.

Obviously, the current social trails are totally inadequate - some of them are (gasp!) only 18" wide! The land they're on must be rehabilitated back to its natural state, so they can bring in work crews to build proper trails, which, ideally, will be nice and smooth, 8-10 feet wide, surfaced with DG and lined with split-rail fencing - all in keeping with MTRP's standard trail guidelines.

Grrrrr.... :evil:

The following 4 users would like to thank chuckanado for his or her post:
Canaan, mtbTB, OldDogDan, rob240z
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Assuming all this is accurate, which from what I was told yesterday it isn't.

Who will write these tickets?

The park rangers at MTRP aren't really "Rangers". At least that's my understanding.
They aren't LEO's, there just city employees.

Much like when I was in college and home in Montana for the summer I worked for BLM and/or the Forest Service on fire crews. With BLM part of our job was helping to police a couple BLM camp grounds in the area around Ennis Mont.

Basically we "enforced" camp ground rules. But there wasn't much we could really do short of letting people know they were violating rule, most of which were state or Federal laws BTW and ask them to leave if necessary.

But we had no real legal authority. If we couldn't get compliance and we needed to we had to call the Sherif, state police, Mont. F&G (back then) or a Forest Service Ranger.

In other words a law enforcement officer. Which is probably why F&G is writing tickets at DMM, because the "rangers" aren't Rangers in the real since of the word.

So, who will respond and write Tess tickets? Since some of the area is city property it might be SDPD. That's who responded when got scooped up in the ambulance a couple years ago; but then they can't really ticket you on someone else's word. If I'm not mistaken this wouldn't be a felony, so, they need to see you to write the ticket don't they.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 296 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: east county, Calaveras
Well, they are actively sitting on the top of the Mesa "protecting" it already, so why couldn't they just do the same right under the 52? That is the most used entry point into spring canyon, so I'm pretty sure that would be effective to catch trespassers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:32 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
DWill -- I don't know who you spoke to, but the head ranger confirmed the trail closures yesterday. It's real.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
jSatch, ride00
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next