All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:56 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 272 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Developing a damn quivvvvver!
Favorite Trails: Any with dirt!
Does anyone have a detailed map of MCAS Miramar?
One that would show the land near Gooden Ranch?
It used to be called Camp Elliot and was an Army base...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:33 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 63 thanks
Received: 218 thanks
Bike(s): Huffy Rock Creek
Favorite Trails: 52 bike lane
Are you trying to figure out exactly where the boundary line is? I don't think the tards pounding random signs out there have a friggin clue.

As I recall when it burned a couple years ago, it sure wasn't the base fire dept. out there fighting the fire. The county is just going to bend over and let them do whatever they want because they're broke and keeping land open for mt. bikers is lower than snake dookie on their priority list. The only reason the "base" even cares is from a liability standpoint. They make up crap about unexploded ordnance as a weak cover to try to scare people but it's total bs.

"Nothing dollarable is safe, however guarded" - John Muir

The following user would like to thank FastRich for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:36 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
This has been discussed ad nauseum on several forums (here, sdmba, mtbr...). But here are a few links to give you an idea of the boundaries...

First, a link to the Wikimapia page that shows the boundaries of MCAS Miramar

This image (below) is a sort of aerial view of the boundaries in the area - something I threw together in Google Earth, using my own various GPS tracks from rides in Spring/Oak and Sycamore. The base boundaries are based on a few other maps that were posted, including the Wikimapia one above:

If you're familiar with the area, you can figure out what the various trails are. The so-called Stowe Trail, running from the north end of Santee lakes up to Goodan Ranch, is entirely within MCAS boundaries. I believe the gate at the southern edge of Goodan is just outside the boundaries. The East Ridge trail is outside of the base, but where it meets the Sycamore/Goodan trail at the bottom is probably right on the boundary line. The Switchbacks (both the northern, southern, and connecting ridgelines) are fully within MCAS property.

On the Spring/Oak side, the upper half of 3 Barrels is within the base, as is almost all of the pair of trails variously known as Carnivore/Herbivore, R1/R2, Flags/Duck-n-cover. Just about all of Oak Canyon (north of the 52) is on base property. L1/Teote and Mr. Toads are mostly outside the boundaries, as is much of Spring Canyon proper, but there have been reports of Marine patrols claiming that "everything north of 52 and east of Santee Lakes" is theirs.

The following 5 users would like to thank chuckanado for his or her post:
Broke That, Canaan, OldDogDan, ShodoPan, Throttlepimp
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 9 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy
Favorite Trails: East Mission Trails
Thanks...nice map.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:23 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 63 thanks
Received: 218 thanks
Bike(s): Huffy Rock Creek
Favorite Trails: 52 bike lane
Seems very, very odd that there's the part on that map north of Santee Lakes where it juts out randomly. Doesn't follow the creek, ridge line or lay of the land at all. I really think the "base" is dead wrong for trying to enforce closure on this relativity microscopic piece of land where people have bike and hiked for so long. It's nearly surrounded by park land so what's the point in them being little bitches about it? They could fence or sign off the ridge line above oak and above the fire road that follows follows the creek and goes into sycamore preserve. It could easily all become part of MTRP!

"Nothing dollarable is safe, however guarded" - John Muir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 31 thanks
Received: 72 thanks
Bike(s): SCTBcLT & TB
Favorite Trails: Twisty, UnSTRAVAcized trails
Recent release of Miramar base land use rules indicate enforcement of borders. I don't know if they are going all the way to the actual borders or just as far south as the new signs. Regarding the part that juts out to the east in Sycamore, they are giving permission to cross that if you stay on the east side of Santee Lakes and the valley running north from there to Goodan Ranch.

Aplogies for the small print on the attached. Click on the page to enlarge.

Attachments:
POLICY LT EAST MIRAMAR1 (2)_Page_1.jpg
POLICY LT EAST MIRAMAR1 (2)_Page_1.jpg [ 82.26 KiB | Viewed 16897 times ]
POLICY LT EAST MIRAMAR1 (2)_Page_2.jpg
POLICY LT EAST MIRAMAR1 (2)_Page_2.jpg [ 77.1 KiB | Viewed 16897 times ]
POLICY LT EAST MIRAMAR1 (2)_Page_3.jpg
POLICY LT EAST MIRAMAR1 (2)_Page_3.jpg [ 67.56 KiB | Viewed 16901 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank mtbTB for his or her post:
chuckanado, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
^^^ Thank you very much for posting this. It seems to confirm a lot of what many of us have surmised based on the recent signage and other enforcement activities.

I'm curious where you heard about them allowing access across the eastern part that "juts out", etc. Is this an official policy or a "heard it through the grapevine" sort of thing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:27 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 428 thanks
Received: 314 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
What base?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:43 pm 
Participant
Participant

Regarding MCAS Miramar allowing riders to go north on the east side of Santee Lakes, that was the word I got from two Marine MPs who were turning bikers away on the west side of the lakes under the power lines. We had just come down from Sycamore link on our way out of their property. This doesn't mean it's official, but apparently they were told not to patrol that particular section. That's probably why they moved the access gate to Goodan Ranch over to the east side - to allow access without going on the west side of the creek.

Oh BTW, as far as unexploded ordnance being out there - yes. I ran over one a few years ago on a trail in a legal part of Spring Cyn. Luckily it didn't blow up on me. I placed it under a bush, flagged and GPS'd it and had a helluva time getting EOD out there to take it away. So be careful out there (especially if you're digging).

The following 3 users would like to thank mtbTB for his or her post:
Canaan, chuckanado, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:40 am 
Participant
Participant

UPDATE: As you may be aware, the Marines are actively patrolling the borders, issuing citations and even confiscating bikes. This now includes the east side of Sycamore creek, so no more N-S connection between Santee and Goodan Ranch. :x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:09 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
The west side is now hot due to lots of unauthorized building on the military's cemetery lot.

San Diego Reader - Covert MTB Trails built around National Cemetery

Really, a fricken bobcat tractor?

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:51 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2958 thanks
Received: 769 thanks
Bike(s): Rune
Favorite Trails: I like trails
I highly doubt that there was ever a bobcat in there. I've ridden the trails on the north side of the tracks prior to the cemetery opening, and most of those trails are just well-worn in. Plus, there's no way to get one in there without doing so conspicuously. There's quite a few trails out there on the south side that I continued to ride until October or so, and some trails west of the 805, north of the tracks that were being built but never finished. If I was to take a guess, I would say that the person(s) is riding in from Cather or Teasdale Streets in UC or from Nobel.

The following 4 users would like to thank rob240z for his or her post:
bankerboy, Canaan, Los, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
It just keeps rolling on. Please get the word out to stop tearing down the signs. Could be hikers too.

Today, MCAS Miramar informed the San Diego Mountain Biking Association (SDMBA) about vandalism on MCAS property – specifically to newly installed signs in East Elliott. As everyone who has been following the story of the Marines and the confiscation of bikes knows, there have been serious issues between the Marines of MCAS Miramar and trail users in East Elliot, north of the 52.

Our immediate concern is signage. Over the last few weeks, SDMBA has identified trail crossing onto MCAS land. This is critical as the Marines continue to enforce borders. Unfortunately, an individual in the last 24 hours has torn down two signs in East Elliot. Realize that tearing down signs will not stop the Marines from writing tickets or taking bikes! The removal of signs could also allow innocent riders/hikers to wander onto MCAS land and lead to more potential citations.

One of the signs that was removed was up Barrels with the other in Oak Canyon. The continued vandalism of the signs also decreases the willingness for MCAS and the city to partner with SDMBA and the community regarding this and future access options. We are very close to announcing the Mission Trails Master Plan Update – meaning new legal trail throughout the park, including East Elliot. There will be LEGAL trails generations will enjoy.

Mountain bike riders need to ensure that everyone within the community is complying with current rules. This shows decision makers that we are a responsible user group to be trusted land stewards. If you know who may have caused the vandalism to the signs, we urge you to reach out to the person and urge them to stop! While passionate, this person is directly hurting our community and progress that is being made. If anyone sees other signs being removed, please let SDMBA know immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:00 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
theres no way someone brought a bobcat in there. its single track thru and thru.

The following user would like to thank Los for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:06 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17286 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
http://m.sandiegoreader.com/news/2016/aug/26/stringers-marines-allow-mountain-bikers-miramar/

Encouraging, and thanks to all who are actively advocating for it. But "I'll believe it when I see it" is not so much pessimistic as realistic perhaps.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
GForce