All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
To foster competition among fellow MTB riders and continuing to discover new ride options, the makers of the 2009 Vertical Epic just raised the bar for the next vertical challenge. Think of it as mountaineering with your bike. :wink:

Rules:
- Time window: Aug 15 – Dec 15, 2010
- Each peak or ridgeline must be at least 9,000’ according to USGS topo map and are not limited to any geographical location.
- Only the tallest peak reached in the ride will be counted. If wanting to count another peak in the same general area, a separate ride must be completed for that peak. A peak can be summited multiple times provided different approach routes are used for the majority of the ride.
- Ride must start from the general base of mountain and use available dirt. Rider will use discretion in determining the base, starting point, route, and rideable dirt. Riders may be ridiculed by fellow riders for finding an easy out.
- In the event the intended peak is not summited, the ride must attain at least 9,000’ to be counted and attempts will only be counted once. If the peak is later summited, it will replace former attempts.
- Riding in Wilderness areas is not encouraged.
- Bike must accompany rider to peak.
- Rides will be validated using GPS tracks that are to be provided upon request to a panel of judges.
- Photo documentation will be used to further validate the ride if GPS track is in question or GPS fails.
- In the event of a tie for total number of peaks, accumulated vertical climb attained for all peaks will win out for the King of the Mountains trophy.

Let the madness begin...

Last edited by GP_pilot on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
I see you have conveniently set the time window so our ride from last weekend doesn't count :flame:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:54 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 275 thanks
Received: 170 thanks
Bike(s): heckler, roubaix
Favorite Trails: PCT, PCE and PCH
Dude, you should post this on MTBR (maybe you did, I didn't check).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
So, a ride with at least 9,900' of climbing just to be counted? That shouldn't be a problem...considering I've never climbed that much in one ride, continuing to not be able to do it shouldn't be hard. :wink:

I mean, those are VQ/CC type numbers. Impressive but only realistically physically possible for a very small percentage of riders.

It will be fun to watch though. :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

evdog wrote:
I see you have conveniently set the time window so our ride from last weekend doesn't count :flame:

Is that what you call the base of the mountain from where you guys started? :roll: And here I thought I was being generous on posting it in time for Sunday's ride. :|

PacMan wrote:
So, a ride with at least 9,900' of climbing just to be counted? That shouldn't be a problem...considering I've never climbed that much in one ride, continuing to not be able to do it shouldn't be hard. :wink:

That's the peak elevation you need to at least top out at. Climbing will be less than that for most peaks that meet the requirement. Yes, it will be fun to watch for some...

The following user would like to thank GP_pilot for his or her post:
PacMan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

GP_pilot wrote:
That's the peak elevation you need to at least top out at. Climbing will be less than that for most peaks that meet the requirement. Yes, it will be fun to watch for some...

Ah, gotcha. I was thinking you meant 9,900' of total gain for the ride. That's a lot more doable. Still not easy, but a lot more doable. I'd like to attempt to tag along on some of yours given the opportunity.

^^hint hint hint^^^

:D :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:03 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

GP_pilot wrote:
evdog wrote:

Is that what you call the base of the mountain from where you guys started? :roll: And here I thought I was being generous on posting it in time for Sunday's ride. :|

What are you saying, we would have had to start in Upland for that ride to count? Why don't you just require that every ride start at sea level?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:05 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 257 thanks
Received: 428 thanks
Bike(s): Douglas Fusion, Devinci Django
Favorite Trails: your mom*
which rideable (or mostly rideable) peaks are >10k' elev.? i think the 12/15 time limit is sorta iffy. how many 10k' peaks aren't gonna be covered with snow by 12/15? sounds interesting, but if you are gonna play by those rules, it would be better to start sooner than later

edit: this sounds like a good idea, but much more suited for people who live near those elevations. i can't think of many places nearby that are >10k'. can you ride up to 10k' from the base of mammoth or mt whitney or... ?

Last edited by jabantik on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:13 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
Can we get a roadie version of this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 257 thanks
Received: 428 thanks
Bike(s): Douglas Fusion, Devinci Django
Favorite Trails: your mom*
EMFC wrote:

can't think of many roads >10k' in california. when i was living in menlo park, i rode with a dude whose goal was 1M vertical feet in a year, which he had finished by mid-october. something like that is much better for where we live

The following 2 users would like to thank jabantik for his or her post:
EMFC, PacMan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

jabantik wrote:
1M vertical feet in a year, ... something like that is much better for where we live

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Not to derail this thread and take away from what Sean proposed, but a total for the period is more doable for this area.

As you can see here, the pickens are slim: http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=21323&u=ft&hu=0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:30 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 275 thanks
Received: 170 thanks
Bike(s): heckler, roubaix
Favorite Trails: PCT, PCE and PCH
PacMan wrote:
As you can see here, the pickens are slim: http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=21323&u=ft&hu=0

White Mountains are awesome. I always wanted to explore more in that area on a mountain bike. Too much good stuff in the Owens Valley always gets in the way though...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

EMFC wrote:

Ummmm...no, No, & NO. I recall the word mountain is in MTB for a reason...

PacMan wrote:
jabantik wrote:
1M vertical feet in a year, ... something like that is much better for where we live

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Not to derail this thread and take away from what Sean proposed, but a total for the period is more doable for this area.

This is a mountaineering challenge partly to find new routes and show case possible epic rides. Not some how-many feet-can-you-climb-in-a-year Geoladders three ring circus bull$hit. I didn't say that this challenge would be for everyone, probably very few. This takes dedicated research, body conditioning, a ride game plan, possibly scouting, and well timed execution the day of the ride. But of course anyone else is welcome to issue their own challenge since there is freedom of speach, at least on this site.

Also if anyone is eyeing peaks in the San Gorgonio mountians, you likely have a hard time proving that less than half the ride take place within the Wilderness boundaries. I stopped short of excluding that entire area.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

GP_pilot wrote:
Not some how-many feet-can-you-climb-in-a-year Geoladders three ring circus bull$hit.

Then why all the rules? This whole thing sounds like a 3 ring circus to me....

Given how few peaks there are >9900' nearby I have to question the usefulness of this challenge. Few would care to participate and even fewer would be able to, unless of course you're working up in the high desert and get every second friday off. For me, there are far too many excellent trails out there to waste time trying to bag peaks just for the sake of it.

If you want to promote discovery of new routes and possible epics, why not simply challenge people to get out and ride new stuff? Who cares what the elevation, ascent, and mileage turn out to be. And forget rules. Do a roadtrip you've always wanted to; rather than sit on the couch, check out a new after work ride. Go explore that singletrack you saw from the freeway. Hunt down that local's-only line you've only heard about. Try night riding if you haven't done it. Try to link up some of your favorite riding areas. Ride with new people. Just get out there and have fun ....

This will lead to new routes and epics that we can all enjoy, just look what ErikMM has been doing as a perfect example. No judging is required, just post up a ride report to fuel the stoke for everyone. What better challenge than that?

The following 4 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Canaan, EMFC, moondogg, slingshot
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

After careful consideration the minimum elevation is reduced to 9,000' .