Post subject: Re: New 29er Build
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
Completed Build, with pump, tool kit, bottle cage, and crank boots picked up today. Hate to add that weight, but it's better to have it than not.

Yes the wood graining is done by hand! I have no idea how he does it.

The following user would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
OhNooo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
Very nice job . . . how does it ride?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:48 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Neighborhood ride is good. Real ride will be tomorrow.

Feels fast and efficient. Will have to play with tire pressures to get the right ride. Not much else to deal with being full rigid.

Canaan
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:00 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Got out for two rides this weekend. Saturday was fairly social ride but covered 11.38 miles and 1143 feet of climbing. Sunday was a little longer, a little faster and not as much climbing, 13.39 miles with 610 feet of climbing.

First impressions of course are Wow, this thing is light, 20lbs by bathroom scale. Despite being so light it feels good on the trail, solid and planted, no weird vibrations, nice and smooth. And FAST, oh so fast, coming from my Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, which is 32lbs and 5.5" of travel. The light wheels and stiff frame accelerate so well. The other thing I noticed, which is more of preference is how odd regular Round grips feel weird (I've been using Ergons for a couple years now.) just odd without the palm support. I joked that the suspension didn't really absorb the small bumps very well, by that I really mean that's where I felt the rigidness the most. On larger stuff it wasn't quite as bad because I was out of the saddle soaking up the bumps with arms and legs more. On Saturday we didn't really ride anything super technical as far as downhill, mostly just flowy fun stuff where things weren't that bad, except for a few stretches of trail that got a little rough, but again, being out of saddle the arms and legs do a pretty good job sucking up the big stuff. During Sundays ride it was noted by someone I ride with often that he could tell I was slower on the downhill, where I would normally go straight through on the Santa Cruz, I was starting to look for the smoothest line and be a little slower, but as soon as the trail went up, I just exploded up the climbs. This I had noticed on Saturday that anytime we hit a climb, I would zip past everyone, except the one guy in way better shape than me.

Overall Saturdays ride was great, with lots of comments about the bike, one guy took it for a spin around the meetup area, and liked how it felt. Sundays ride was a little more adventurous as I got a puncture on the front tire that the Orange Seal just wouldn't seal up. The puncture was from a rock strike, just left of the center tread. While sealant was pissing out, it just wouldn't fill the puncture. Fortunately the other guy with a 29er had a spare tube, as I hadn't put one in the saddle bag yet. I attribute the puncture to being a little to heavy on the front end on a fast section with a sharp rock I could have avoided. The question is, would another tire or tube prevented it??? Not sure. I think the issue was to much weight on the front, not enough give without a suspension fork and the rock just pierced the casing.

Oh, and after all this, on the drive home, I literally almost lost the bike. I have one of the bike racks that holds with wheels with straps and a clamp on the top tube. Well at about 80mph the clamp slipped off, the bike fell down and was only held on by the straps. God talk about a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was able to pull over safely, stand it up and reattach. I attribute the slip to having a towel to protect the paint and not tightening enough for fear of damaging the carbon.

Anyway, here are some photos from Saturdays ride.

The following 2 users would like to thank 325racer for his or her post:
Canaan, tfitz
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:51 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 6166 thanks
Received: 6399 thanks
Bike(s): mango. pivot. chumba
Favorite Trails: san jaun. arizona trails
Canaan wrote:

I took it for spin it was the best 29er I have tested, but the front end is still hard to get off the ground like all 29er's I guess.

The following user would like to thank tfitz for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

tfitz wrote:
Canaan wrote:

I took it for spin it was the best 29er I have tested, but the front end is still hard to get off the ground like all 29er's I guess.

Thanks, after the mileage from the weekend it feels great. On most of our trails full rigid wasn't really that bad. In a few places I found that I have to slow down, but some stuff is actually easier because of the more solid feel.

Canaan