All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:35 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
You'll like the SLX brakes. I put them on my sons Nomad, other than a couple of adjustment and using a pin for the pads in place of a bolt they are no different than the XT's and fell the same.

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17284 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
DWill wrote:
You'll like the SLX brakes. I put them on my sons Nomad, other than a couple of adjustment and using a pin for the pads in place of a bolt they are no different than the XT's and fell the same.

"Gee, thanks Dad...you put XT's on your bike."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 am 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
OldDogDan wrote:
DWill wrote:

"Gee, thanks Dad...you put XT's on your bike."

No, My bike came with XT's at least my Nomad did. Couldn't justify the cost of XT's ( there were no deals on them at the time) on I bike I wasn't sure he was going to ride and we were going to keep.

I did put a XT drive train on it though, along with a new wheel set, tires, fork, shock; he's basically got the same set up I have on my bike except the brakes.

On fact I still have a shit load of the brand new stuff I took off in my garage I need to get rid of.

I think it might be time for a spring sale.

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

^^^ DWill, yes, I could have afforded XT brakes, but chose SLX anyhow recently. Justifying cost is a relative thing...I hope mongooseboy posts up a live photo of the frankenbike on the dirt today!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 790 thanks
Bike(s): Intense TracerVP / Javlin Road
Favorite Trails: Left Fork Bunker Creek
Just when I thought things were going so well. I did the tubeless tire install today ( I took the advise and bought a 3 gal compressor With the hose and inflation accessories the big box of evil (Wallmart) for 75.00. It worked great I didn't even spill a drop of sealant, it was easy.
But my headset came this afternoon and guess what? It doesn't fit, I had an old 1 1/8" headset in the parts box, it was too small outside diameter to fit in the head tube of the frame so I bought an 1 1/2" and its too big so I guess I'm off to the nearest
LBS to see if I can find one that fits or at the very least find out what the correct size is. I checked the GT web site and they say it takes an 1 1/8" zero stack headset for tapered steerer tube. Is the OD different on a zero stack than a regular headset? I find out when I go to the LBS.
I am disappointed to say the least.

--Desmond Tutu

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Got up this morning with a mission, find a headset for my new (to me) frame. Yesterday afternoon was a bust. So I headed off bright and early to Black Mountain Bikes (The closest sop to my home in Poway) Poway really could use a good bike shop. Anyway the guys at black mountain fixed me up with a new take off Chris King for a really good price. I put the rig together and went for a ride. I had the bike all set up for the Jose (Baja) bike shot. But I dropped my camera as I was taking it out of my pocket and of course it broke. Son of a.... but I have to say it came out pretty sweet (the bike, not the camera). I'm digg'n the tubeless tires but it will take me a couple of ride to get used to the lower pressure the tubeless setup runs. And yep the 42-28 chainring setup is kinda tall but I'll ride myself into it. I did GPS the ride. I guess, I'm buying a new camera tomorrow. I'll post some pictures then.
Between the Compressor and now the camera my intended cheep build sure broke the budget.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/481862355

--Desmond Tutu

The following 2 users would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Congrats on finishing 'er up! Bummer about the camera but otherwise it's all good. Just one thing puzzling me..."a new take off Chris King headset." Good deal for you though!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

OldDogDan wrote:
Congrats on finishing 'er up! Bummer about the camera but otherwise it's all good. Just one thing puzzling me..."a new take off Chris King headset." Good deal for you though!

I know; why would anyone take off a King headset? But I'm glad it worked out the way it did. The guys at Black Mountain have always been cool to me. Their prices are usually not the lowest, but there are always a lot of really nice bikes in there for service so they must do something right. I wish I had the capital to open a shop of my own out here in the Poway/ R.B. area. After Bike Empire closed the only option for a short(ish) drive to a bike shop is Black Mountain or Bike Bling and for me there is only one option, because I'm never spending another dime of my money at that guy in Escondido's shop.

--Desmond Tutu

The following user would like to thank mongooseboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan