Post subject: Specialized Carve 29er
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:32 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 4 thanks
Received: 24 thanks
Bike(s): 2009 Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: Calavera & La Costa
I rented one this week in Tahoe and boy did it shred the flume trail up! It was awesome and responsive as hell...Thinking about saving up to get one as my full suspension begins to run it's life expectancy course.

Have any of you had or ridden one?

Are they worth the money or would I be better off getting a stumpy?

I really loved the 2x10 drivetrain, so anything that has 3 rings in front is out of the question, though I could go with a 1x set up....any comparable 29ers to the Carve that I should consider?

Thanks in advance....

The following user would like to thank trapacero for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:36 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 22 thanks
Received: 18 thanks
Bike(s): Remedy 9.7, Super fly SS,
Favorite Trails: PQ, Hodges
Sorry for the long response, but I hope my experience helps you decide. I rode a Trek Fuel EX9.9 for years, and currently ride a Remedy 9.7 and Superfly Comp (converted to SS). The Superfly Comp is very similar to the carbon Stumpjumper HTs, and both are awesome bikes. I reach for the Superfly on almost every ride (including a great trip to Sedona in JAN) and cannot praise carbon HT 29ers enough. They climb well, descend well (though a bit rough coming from FS), and are far better all arounders if you don't mind the slight abuse vs FS bikes. Carbon seat post and a good saddle can take the edge off, as can tubeless at low PSI. Lower end (aluminum) 29er HTs will be heavier and slightly less responsive (maybe not noticably less responsive depending on ho w you ride) than their more expensive Carbon brand mates, but are still fun bikes. I loked at a bunch of them before settling on the higher end bike. I am actually debating ditching the susp fork and going with a carbon rigid fork to make it even lighter and more responsive. Keep the FS for rough trails and get the best 29er HT your budget can afford...you won't be disappointed.

The following user would like to thank SprSonik for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:18 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 22 thanks
Received: 18 thanks
Bike(s): Remedy 9.7, Super fly SS,
Favorite Trails: PQ, Hodges
Check out the Trek Superstore this weekend. They have the Superfly Comp marked down from @$3600 to @ $2500. Pricey compared to aluminum bikes, but a smoking deal for a carbon ride. They also have the lower spec Superfly (also carbon) for @$2000. With their 0% for a year financing, you could be riding "while you save for it". Worth looking at just to see if you like the Trek version of a HT 29er.