Post subject: ITT Trabuco HJ TR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
ITT to Trabuco to Holy Jim a relatively tough day......31 miles and 7000 feet of climbing. Barcy did this same ride a month or so ago on his SS. I was feeling cocky so I decided to do it Sunday on my singlespeed Niner.

All went well. I paced myself up Indian Truck Trail and still set personal best times at a couple of landmarks on the way up, and made Main Divide at just over 1 hour from my parking spot off of Mayhew Drive. Cool!

Next came the the infamous "wall". I cleaned it non-stop :shock: . Made my day because it is long, steep, rocky, and loose from all the moto's and ORV's and I had assumed it was near impossible to SS up.....it was not an easy thing to do.

Headed to Trabuco and down I went. Fun as usual, and shaking my head that I have climbed this loose rocky steep crap 2X this year. At the bottom just past the W. Horsethief split on Trabuco I noticed my rear tire had lost air....Stan's POS!!! I got into my pack......WTF!!!! No hand pump!.....I left it in the other pack :shock: Only one CO2 cart!!?? I decided to put a tube in and guess what......I bothched it and only partially inflated the tube. I then had to walk down some of the sweetest trail on the planet.....all the way to Holy Jim :x Anger does not even begin to describe it. Baja, where were you to save my ass?

I finally arrived at the HJ trailhead and found some dude with a bike pump...saved! He pulls out the smallest mini-pump I have ever seen.....after 5 minutes I am up to a whopping 10 psi. FINALLY a pair of riders goes by and I practically tackle them ...... please! Can I please borrow a (real) pump??? (under their breath....what an idiot douche this guy is). It is a long way to Corona and even longer without a pump :shock:

Got things aired up and up HJ I went. Once past the waterfall turnoff it was time to get serious. I cleaned all the switchbacks on HJ....again, beyond expectations. Limited to one gear??? One gear is not a limit, it actually helped....the instant power to the rear wheel was the key. There is one rooty section that is HAB and I have never cleaned going up, and walked that once more, and after that I made all the other nasty crap too, but I finally failed on that last sharp left-hand swithback 0.5 miles from the top. I had almost climbed HJ with no daps on the SS.....geeze.

That's when mental exhaustion set in. Everyone knows the feeling when the legs are cooked. My legs were still fine. It was my head.....I was now mentally cooked! I was now sick and tired of climbing standing up.....really, just F-ing sick of it. It was the longest half mile to get to Main Divide.....I think I stopped six times in that half-mile cursing the unrelenting grade. I wanted to hug flat ground and was actually estatic to be on that POS Main Divide. The ride back to the truck was one of total joy....I had survived the lapse of not having the pump, and mentally bonking on the last part of HJ.

Kimba, your right....a pic or two would not hurt....

Flowers on ITT.

The intersection ITT and Pain Divide.

Main Divide is brutal.....one of the downs after going up!!!!! Insane. 406, Kreechan and I went up that earlier in the year and it hurt.

West Horsethief looks bushy.....not fun, Viejo Tie in was like this and it sucked.

Start of Trabuco.....usually see bikes, people, no one this time :shock:

Trabuco rocks....a nice section here.

Wild raspberries on Trabuco.....normally biking this at 20 mph you would not notice, but since I was WALKING #@$$@Q@!!!

Holy Jim was beautiful......beautifully maintained ST and spectacular views. At the top I took a pic on Main Divide looking back at the where it all started....the Wall is off in the distance.

Last edited by sierragoldens on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following 8 users would like to thank sierragoldens for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Canaan, evdog, kreechan, moondogg, Robo, Scott Forty G., 406
 Post subject: Re: ITT Trabuco HJ TR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:51 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
That is insane -- I can't imagine doing such a monumental ride on a SS. But I can attest to the fact that, paradoxically, limiting yourself to one gear can make you faster -- I routinely ride my regular Spring Canyon loop faster on my rigid SS than on my geared full-suspension bike -- but that assumes one can do the climbs on a SS.

Great job.

Last edited by Canaan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:54 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
you are starting to scare me

The following 2 users would like to thank 406 for his or her post:
moondogg, sierragoldens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:53 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
406 wrote:

I agree. Cleaning the wall on a SS is herculean. What's next, Everest?

The following user would like to thank Brian for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Canaan wrote:
limiting yourself to one gear can make you faster -- I routinely ride my regular Spring Canyon loop faster on my rigid SS than on my geared full-suspension bike.

Please!! That needs to be kept a secret :thumbsup:

L-1/Teote' would be a good climb on the SS! Iron Tread......that might be too loose to clean on the SS? Seems hard enuff on the geared FS. And everyone knows that the steep and loose FR section at the top of the 3-Barrels climb is way too hard for me :)

The following user would like to thank sierragoldens for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:14 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Damn! My legs are hurting just reading this, you're an animal.

The following user would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
sierragoldens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Brian wrote:
406 wrote:

I agree. Cleaning the wall on a SS is herculean. What's next, Everest?

Thanks Brian, but I my legs were about as "fresh" as they could be (sounds stupid to say after 2500 feet of climbing to get there huh!). The guys that do it after 20+ miles and traversing Main Divide on the way up to Santiago Peak, etc., that is herculean.

Cool part of this adventure is that I could barely fathom riding up stuff like Indian Creek on the SS before this ride. Now I know it is possible to ride most if not all of it, and less guilt for holding you back if we rode the San Juan trail SS one of these days....I wouldn't fall too far behind! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

bajamtnbkr wrote:
Damn! My legs are hurting just reading this, you're an animal.

Like I said, I just followed Barcy's footstep's. He set the bar on this particular ride by doing it SS a couple of months ago. You may remember Evan's post in Treader Reports........ "Barcy, put your TR here" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Besides, you should talk Baja!......you just posted pics on top of Cowles Mtn. I am scared of hieghts and the air looked too thin to breathe.....won't see me up there, no way. Good job yourself!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Nice TR and definitely an accomplishment with no gear choices. I'd bug you about no pics of riding B but I can understand why none were taken.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
sierragoldens