Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
EMFC wrote:
Canaan wrote:

Interesting fork set-up. What's going on there?

That my freind is also know as AWESOME!!!!!!

lol -- I figured out the "awesome" part on my own. I was hoping for an answer that was a little more technical than that.

Post subject: Re: SS conversion
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
That would be a Maverick DUC 32.

http://www.maverickbike.com/main/do/products/productID/38

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:34 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
EMFC wrote:
Maybe he just doesn't want to buy from you :D , IMO he was just being polite.

Quote:
I have got Chris King cogs, 16, 17 and 18 that are all brand new. PM me if interested.

Thanks

Eric,

Did I mention any price in my original post? No. He wanted quality parts and I offered him quality parts without saying my price.

And you already know his respond. And you are a big spender on bikes. You know quality doesn't come cheap.

Ali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:39 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

EMFC wrote:

Thanks. Seems a little risky to run an inverted fork on a MTB, but it sure looks cool.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I almost bought that bike just for the fork itself, that sucker is so badass.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:24 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 2 thanks
Bike(s): 07 stumpy HT
Favorite Trails: just moved here
6packguywith5spot wrote:
EMFC wrote:

Quote:
I have got Chris King cogs, 16, 17 and 18 that are all brand new. PM me if interested.

Thanks

Eric,

Did I mention any price in my original post? No. He wanted quality parts and I offered him quality parts without saying my price.

And you already know his respond. And you are a big spender on bikes. You know quality doesn't come cheap.

Ali

Ok, first off the don't go publicly flaming me because I was being polite to you. I really appreciate your offer, even if you didn't mention prices. Maybe if you would have it might have sparked some interest. Second I'm expecting my second son here in a month or so. Money is a little tight. Along with the fact that I just moved my family here from Hawaii. Third, I don't even have my bike here yet. So I haven't ridden any trails here. Which means that I don't know what I'm going to like riding here. I might decide to get a FS as my next bike.

Just because I might not be willing to get CK doesn't mean that there isn't other quality parts out there. I know I said I would save up a bit more to get quality but come on. Just because I turned down CK components doesn't mean I don't know quality. Its nothing against you personally.

So now that I have said my piece. I would appreciate it if its dropped.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

I have nothing against you at all or your taste in equipments that you choose to use. If I am not mistaking, you responded to 2nd or 3rd reply that you aren't interested in Performance " cheap stuff " and like quality parts even if you have to pay more.

Therefore, I sent you a PM, offering my CK cogs. I didn't mention any price becasue I come across lots of goodies and on occassions, I have offered them at 1/2 or less of retail price to freinds here and there.

By the way, welcome to SD and congratulations on your son to be born in SD.

What was interesting to me was the fact that you rejected poor quality and wanted the best and I thought I could offer you a great deal on a great quality part out there.

Not knowing that you are new to DT and as we have had strange people introducing themselves in strange ways, I thought you are one of them and therefore, I said what I said.

If I had known that you are for real, maybe I wouldn't have said it openly and instead waited for you to respond like you mentioned in your PM.

Anyhow, if you are missing your bike and want to ride before it gets here and the fact that you are serviceman, just call me at 619-502-0606 and come by and pick one of my bikes for this Sunday's ride to Sycamore as a small thank you for all the good things you guys do to keep the peace around the World.

And I am not into flaming people for any reason. So, you are welcome to ride with us using one of my bikes this Sunday. Don't hesitate to call.

Ali the :flame: ing man :lol: :hello:

worrptangl wrote:
6packguywith5spot wrote:
EMFC wrote:

Quote:

Thanks

Eric,

Ali

Ok, first off the don't go publicly flaming me because I was being polite to you. I really appreciate your offer, even if you didn't mention prices. Maybe if you would have it might have sparked some interest. Second I'm expecting my second son here in a month or so. Money is a little tight. Along with the fact that I just moved my family here from Hawaii. Third, I don't even have my bike here yet. So I haven't ridden any trails here. Which means that I don't know what I'm going to like riding here. I might decide to get a FS as my next bike.

Just because I might not be willing to get CK doesn't mean that there isn't other quality parts out there. I know I said I would save up a bit more to get quality but come on. Just because I turned down CK components doesn't mean I don't know quality. Its nothing against you personally.

So now that I have said my piece. I would appreciate it if its dropped.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 249 thanks
Received: 694 thanks
Bike(s): S-Works 29er Niner Air9 Masi
Favorite Trails: All of them
Hey Andy, on the jensonusa page you linked look at the Surly stuff. There cogs and Singulator are great quality parts and don't break the bank. Been using both for over 6 months now with no issues. Cog shows almost no wear.

Help support the NSW Flyin' Frogs, Phoenix Patriot Foundation and save 10% off your order simply by entering PPF as the discount code at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/. Another 10% will be donated back to PPF.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I considering doing a cheap, cheap, cheap singlespeed conversion on an inexpensive hardtail (Schwinn Mesa GSD) for an errand bike and for light dirt riding with my younger son.

Can I use the 42t chain ring that came stock on the bike or will I be overgeared no matter how big of a cog I run on the back?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:51 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
Canaan wrote:
I considering doing a cheap, cheap, cheap singlespeed conversion on an inexpensive hardtail (Schwinn Mesa GSD) for an errand bike and for light dirt riding with my younger son.

Can I use the 42t chain ring that came stock on the bike or will I be overgeared no matter how big of a cog I run on the back?

You should be fine, especially if it is a "errand bike" and used more on the road/fire road. If you have all 3 original rings, use the middle one. You can either buy BMX chainring bolts (original bolts are probably too long) or grind down the original bolts just a bit (dremel)

You could actually go very, very cheap using a half link, a good gear combo and PVC in place of spacers on the rear.

But, you are a family man and I wouldn't suggest jerry rigging like that.

Buy that performance kit for 20-25.00 and get that errand bike rolling!

That is the setup I have with my errand bike + a wire basket on the front of it. I can haul some food or a couple of gallons of milk or a 12 pack easily and I always get front row parking at the grocery store!

The following user would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

^^^ Thanks ^^^

It was your post about the Performance single-speed conversion kit that got me thinking about this to begin with. The "cheap, cheap, cheap" qualifier was to ward off even well-intentioned recommendations about replacement cranksets.

Hope to get started on this today. Should be able to get it all done for ~$65 (need some brake levers too as the set-up that came on the bike combines brakes and shifters).

DONE -- definitely not worthy of photos, but I still have a sense of accomplishment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:25 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

6packguywith5spot wrote:
Anyhow, if you are missing your bike and want to ride before it gets here and the fact that you are serviceman, just call me at 619-502-0606 and come by and pick one of my bikes for this Sunday's ride to Sycamore as a small thank you for all the good things you guys do to keep the peace around the World.

Ali how come you never offered to let me ride one of your bikes. I would much rather break someone elses bike then my own. See ya in the am :hello:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:13 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

You dont even need to ask Eric. Just show up and pick one. Knowing how many you bikes you have, you probably don't want to ride mine. Andrew is going to be paintballing otherwise he would have joined us. See you tomorrow.

EMFC wrote:
6packguywith5spot wrote:

Ali how come you never offered to let me ride one of your bikes. I would much rather break someone elses bike then my own. See ya in the am :hello:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:42 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
EMFC wrote:
Canaan wrote:

Interesting fork set-up. What's going on there?

That my freind is also know as AWESOME!!!!!!

:roll: