See ya saturday?

I'll be there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:05 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 101 thanks
Received: 562 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz NomadC & V10c
Favorite Trails: Your mom's happy-trail!
I love riding motorcycles, but I don't think you should give up MTB in order to get a bike. Wait until you can afford to keep your MTB and still get a moto. And once you do take the plunge, do it right. Take the MSF course, get your M1, buy all your gear, and for the love of god don't buy a Gixxer 1000 for your first bike. Save up and buy a used SV650 or something similar. If you're smart and do things the right way you don't have to "end up a statistic" like everyone always says.

The following user would like to thank McLovin for his or her post:
Pillow Pants
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:42 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 16 thanks
Received: 44 thanks
Bike(s): NEXT
Favorite Trails: New ones
McLovin wrote:
I love riding motorcycles, but I don't think you should give up MTB in order to get a bike. Wait until you can afford to keep your MTB and still get a moto. And once you do take the plunge, do it right. Take the MSF course, get your M1, buy all your gear, and for the love of god don't buy a Gixxer 1000 for your first bike. Save up and buy a used SV650 or something similar. If you're smart and do things the right way you don't have to "end up a statistic" like everyone always says.

+1, great point McLovin.
I started with a street bike then got a dirt bike then a mountain bike. I ended up selling the street bike, but still have my dirt bike and mountain bike. I am getting the itch again for another street bike, but I am waiting untill I can afford it so that I can have all three. The MTB is definately the best healthwise and you dont have to pay for insurance and registration.:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

rachel wrote:

+1, great point McLovin.
I started with a street bike then got a dirt bike then a mountain bike. I ended up selling the street bike, but still have my dirt bike and mountain bike. I am getting the itch again for another street bike, but I am waiting untill I can afford it so that I can have all three. The MTB is definately the best healthwise and you dont have to pay for insurance and registration.:thumbsup:

You bring up a really good point... 619 you should check into insurance. Depending on your age/record/bike insurance can be very expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
619m5 wrote:
badkittyjing wrote:
I voted for mountain bike. If you were thinking of getting a Harley... then I would have voted otherwise :)

This is the harley that I want.

We were looking at that when we went to buy the hubby a bike, but ended up with the roadster 'cause he wanted a classic look... and it was cheaper :)

Ditto about taking the MSF course . I believe that taking that also helps with lowering your insurance. I still worry about him whenever it rains a bit though. :|

In the end, I'm still keeping my vote as MTB 'cause this is a MTBing forum. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:13 am 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
If you like putting yourself in someone elses hands in a situation you're not statistically cut out to win, then go ahead and get a street bike.

Listen to the guys who ride one. Hell, look at Los. It's only a matter of time.

How do you think you're wife is going to feel for the rest of her days not having her man there to hug and hold on to at night? How do you think she's going to lift heavy things in the garage without you? How do you think she's going to make hard decisions without you being there to help her bounce ideas off of? How happy do you think she'll be on her and your would-have-been next birthday/anniversary without you.

Now, I'm not against the track time thing. I think that's a good idea if you must ride a moto bike on pavement. It's a much more controlled situation. At least if you die it's your fault, not some dude who didn't even know your name or give two shits about you or how your family will feel for the rest of their lives. Just sayin'.

The following user would like to thank QuietStorm for his or her post:
619m5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:42 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

QuietStorm wrote:
If you like putting yourself in someone elses hands in a situation you're not statistically cut out to win, then go ahead and get a street bike.

How do you think you're wife is going to feel for the rest of her days not having her man there to hug and hold on to at night? How do you think she's going to lift heavy things in the garage without you? How do you think she's going to make hard decisions without you being there to help her bounce ideas off of? How happy do you think she'll be on her and your would-have-been next birthday/anniversary without you.

Now, I'm not against the track time thing. I think that's a good idea if you must ride a moto bike on pavement. It's a much more controlled situation. At least if you die it's your fault, not some dude who didn't even know your name or give two shits about you or how your family will feel for the rest of their lives. Just sayin'.

Hard to make the "dangerous" argument when we're involved in another rather high risk hobby here don't you think? One wrong move or a bad crash at any number of the trails we ride on could have life changing (or ending) results.

Staying alive on a motorcycle has everything to do with being aware of your surroundings and anticipating all of the stupid crap that people around you are about to do. Ride smart and stay alive. I always hear riders telling me about their numerous near-death close-calls and yet in 60,000+ street miles on sport bikes, while I've avoided thousands of collisions I haven't had all that many "super close calls".

I feel much safer on a motorcycle than I do riding a bicycle on the street, that's for damn sure.

The following 2 users would like to thank McLovin for his or her post:
619m5, Pillow Pants
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:04 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
McLovin wrote:
QuietStorm wrote:

Hard to make the "dangerous" argument when we're involved in another rather high risk hobby here don't you think? One wrong move or a bad crash at any number of the trails we ride on could have life changing (or ending) results.

Staying alive on a motorcycle has everything to do with being aware of your surroundings and anticipating all of the stupid crap that people around you are about to do. Ride smart and stay alive. I always hear riders telling me about their numerous near-death close-calls and yet in 60,000+ street miles on sport bikes, while I've avoided thousands of collisions I haven't had all that many "super close calls".

I feel much safer on a motorcycle than I do riding a bicycle on the street, that's for damn sure.

:?: I didn't say it wasn't dangerous, did I?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 158 thanks
Received: 216 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized
Favorite Trails: Every single one!
Mike, my wife would ride also. Hell she wants a motorcycle more than I do. Besides, we're covered if anything happens to either of us & our 2 kids would have everything paid for regardless. I know how serious it'll be in case of an accident whether it be my fault or someone else. Might just be a "phase" I'm going through but we'll enough to put it into consideration. Heck I might as well get another M5 and start modding it (my first love).. HMMMMMMM...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:12 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
McLovin wrote:
Hard to make the "dangerous" argument when we're involved in another rather high risk hobby here don't you think?

MTB'n is a danger that your completely in control of. Motorcycle riding someone else can take you out in a heart beat. High risk hobby yes, but it is a different animal when it comes to other people on the road

McLovin wrote:
Staying alive on a motorcycle has everything to do with being aware of your surroundings and anticipating all of the stupid crap that people around you are about to do. Ride smart and stay alive.

100% right. I know in my case and post above I bring up the bad part of it, because Id rather make motorcycles seem worse than they are and scare someone out of getting a motorcycle than see them get seriously injured or even die.
Of 4 close friends that ride/rode, all 4 have gone down hard atleast once. Two at the track and 2 on the street. 1 was being a jackass up on Palomar almost went off a cliff, 1 went off the track at willow, and the other 2 were other drivers at fault.
MTB'n is a danger that your completely in control of. Motorcycle riding someone else can take you out in a heart beat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
Oh and BKJ, harleys are just glorified E-Z chairs. Heavy and slow, and chrome is usually the mod of choice. enough said. lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 31 thanks
Received: 12 thanks
Favorite Trails: Still looking...
Yes there are inherent dangers associated with both, especially with regard to motorcycles. Very good points have been listed, but for me, there is nothing better than getting on a motorcycle, and just going for long rides through twisty roads.

I vote get a motorcycle. :thumbsup:

The following 2 users would like to thank deathblow for his or her post:
619m5, Pillow Pants
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 105 thanks
Received: 143 thanks
Bike(s): giant trance, surly lht
Favorite Trails: swoopy ones
deathblow wrote:
Yes there are inherent dangers associated with both, especially with regard to motorcycles. Very good points have been listed, but for me, there is nothing better than getting on a motorcycle, and just going for long rides through twisty roads.

I vote get a motorcycle. :thumbsup:

Guess I have to change my vote now.
Don't want to be on the wrong side of Big D!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:39 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
Los wrote:
Oh and BKJ, harleys are just glorified E-Z chairs. Heavy and slow, and chrome is usually the mod of choice. enough said. lol

Blanket statements are rarely true

The following user would like to thank Pixelpusher for his or her post:
619m5
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 380 thanks
Received: 271 thanks
Bike(s): Jamis Dakar XAM II
Favorite Trails: Slickrock-Moab
Pixelpusher wrote:
Blanket statements are rarely true