All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
My friend told me this was on the news last night. Ha ha!

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-tofu-plat ... 7714.story

Tofu-loving license plate rejected by DMV

CENTENNIAL - A Centennial woman's love of tofu has her involved in a conflict with the DMV.

Kelley Coffman-Lee is a vegetarian who requested a personalized license plate that would read "I love tofu" using these letters "ILVTOFU."

She says she wanted to show her support for a vegetarian lifestyle. The DMV originally approved her request, but later denied it saying the license plate could be offensive.

If you use your imagination you can see an alternate, steamier meaning for the letters.

"Some people could misinterpret what she loves," said Mark Couch with the Colorado Department of Revenue. He says the department must uphold standards of decency.

"There are many people who would see that and be offended. So we have to be aware of it and take care of it," Couch said.

Coffman-Lee is amused, but disappointed. "There are a lot of dirty-minded people out there," she said.

The following 4 users would like to thank badkittyjing for his or her post:
dirtmonger, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, Sultan Ali
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:17 pm 
Bandwidth Burglar
Bandwidth Burglar

Given: 1070 thanks
Received: 531 thanks
Bike(s): Sultan, 6 Pack, El Mar, 1x1
Favorite Trails: LOVE THEM ALL.
Badkittyjing,

I love your posts. They make me laugh, they make my work days go faster and for sure your posts have unique subjects. Keep sending them this way.

Thanks again, :thumbsup:

badkittyjing wrote:
My friend told me this was on the news last night. Ha ha!

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-tofu-plat ... 7714.story

Tofu-loving license plate rejected by DMV

CENTENNIAL - A Centennial woman's love of tofu has her involved in a conflict with the DMV.

Kelley Coffman-Lee is a vegetarian who requested a personalized license plate that would read "I love tofu" using these letters "ILVTOFU."

She says she wanted to show her support for a vegetarian lifestyle. The DMV originally approved her request, but later denied it saying the license plate could be offensive.

If you use your imagination you can see an alternate, steamier meaning for the letters.

"Some people could misinterpret what she loves," said Mark Couch with the Colorado Department of Revenue. He says the department must uphold standards of decency.

"There are many people who would see that and be offended. So we have to be aware of it and take care of it," Couch said.

Coffman-Lee is amused, but disappointed. "There are a lot of dirty-minded people out there," she said.

The following user would like to thank Sultan Ali for his or her post:
badkittyjing
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
I read an article years ago on plates rejected by the DMV and the stories behind them. The two I remember are:

RAPNJAP. These were the initials of a husband and wife who wanted their initials and the "N" to signify "and". It was rejected because some genius decided it could be interpreted as "Rapping Jap" -- which could be taken as racist against Japanese people. Ummm. OK.

The other was DAGO 1 and DAGO 2. We all know Dago is racial slang against people of Italian heritage. Well, the plates were requested by a husband and wife who wanted these plates because their last name was in fact "Dago". When they found out the plates were rejected and the reason why, they reminded the DMV official that was their last name and the obvious proof would be to pull up their license info and see. The plates were still rejected, because they could be interpreted as a racial slur.

The following 3 users would like to thank PacMan for his or her post:
badkittyjing, DHP, Sultan Ali
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:38 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
The Reader had an article just a few weeks ago on that titled "How much can you say in 7 letters?"

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/feb/25/cover/

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
badkittyjing, Sultan Ali
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
My friend at work told me about it, rather than showing me so I was confused at first. Then I visualized it in my head and realized what it could say. I ended up writing it out and asking my cube-mate what she read it as... and apparently she has a dirty mind!! :lol:

I read the SD Reader article and was baffled by this one at first: 3M TA3. Then I realized what it said. Ha ha. Awesome.

Now that I've finally bought a new ride for myself, I'm thinking of getting a personalized plate. Not sure what yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:45 am 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
Some ideas:

LUV2RDE

DRTYRDE

Or, to please the Tofu H8RS:

EATMEAT