It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:48 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
Well done documentary. I'm no tree hugger but this shit is real. You can help reduce your impact on trails, neighborhood, parks, oceans and planet buy not buying bottled water. :thumbsup: Watching the documentary, I tried to reflect on what steps I've taken to do my part. I've been trying to give up my Costco membership but it's hard to convince my wife. I think costco is one of the biggest contributor to packaging waste in our landfills next to Walmart. (or essentially those retailers that are selling in bulk).

[youtube]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/72MCumz5lq4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/72MCumz5lq4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I know I'm preaching to the choir with all this and there's no avoiding buying packaged goods but see what you can do to lesson your impact... Instead of having your groceries bagged or boxed; bring a reusable bag when grocery shopping. Take your products out by hand if you can cary your goods and not take a bag for 1 or 2 items.

Make an attempt to keep packaging that can be used for something else. Like containers for your bike parts. Make a bird house out of a plastic Milk Jug (and if you already have a dozen at home, make one for your neighbor; give em to school or church). Clean off food from plastic containers and recycle it. Don't just throw it in the trash.

Ok, off my soap box. this documentary really got me going. and was a good reminder to be aware all the time :wink:

The following 2 users would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
Ld00d, Supple1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:26 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9364 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
I'm with you up to the Costco part. Sure, buying a crate of 200 plastic bottles is not the best way to get your water, but a lot of stuff is paper packaged, and even more is in one package instead of several. When they pack your shit to go, it's in cardboard boxes that used to hold something else.

We're starting on the reusable grocery bag thing, but that's been a hard habit to start.

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
DHP