All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
So I saw something posted on another site and thought it was worth mentioning here:

Someone was saying that after using up their first 26 weeks of unemployment they filed for a federally funded extension and found out they'll be getting a further 20 weeks of benefits, and then can file for a second extention of another 13 weeks since California is a high unemployment state. I think the extensions are new under the stimulus package (not positive but think so).

I handle HR for my company and yesterday got some more good news for anyone who is recently unemployed. The word from my company's insurance broker that there are some additional benefits coming soon from the economic stimulus package regarding COBRA.

Currently, if your employment is terminated you can go on Federal or Cal COBRA. What this does is allow you to keep the health, dental or vision coverage you had with your employer, except that you must now reimburse them for the premium paid on your behalf. Federal COBRA lasts for 18mos and Cal Cobra adds another 18mos coverage on top.

Under the stimulus package, the Feds will now subsidize your premiums by 2/3. So, if your premium was $300/mo you will only need to pay $100/mo to keep your coverage. This subsidy will last for up to 9 months. It will kinda screw the employer over because they still have to pay the full premium up front for you, and will be reimbursed later through payroll tax credits.

As an added benefit, if you have been let go since Sept 1, 2008 and did not elect COBRA your employer must give you the chance to elect it again so you can take advantage of the lower rates. Your Federal COBRA eligibility is still 18mos from your termination date, but at least you get another shot at choosing it if you like. Many people don't, because COBRA is often not a good deal if you have to pay full price.

Unfortunately if your termination was voluntary (ie, you quit) neither the subsidy nor the extra shot at COBRA are available to you.

The following 6 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Cisco, jSatch, Ld00d, OffRoadie, OhNooo