All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17284 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Does anyone have any old Elixir levers they'd like to get rid of? I know a lot of us switched to Shimano brakes when we got tired of bleeding Avids. The bike I got my grandson has Elixirs, and I just put in new pads and bled them (went well actually), but I think shorter lever blades would work much better for his small hands. I could buy new blades online, but I don't want to throw any money at these Avids beyond pads and fluid -- and I'd rather experiment with a spare set, and not take a hacksaw to the only working pair. Thanks.

Attachment:
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG [ 2.21 MiB | Viewed 6760 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
I have these if they'll work. They'll only cost you a pair of used 5-10s. I have a couple pairs of pads as well you can have.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Also, can you try moving the levers inwards more? That might be better than cutting the lever short, as the hooked end can still catch the finger.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

^^^ Thanks! Yes, CR or R are same. I can't adjust them optimally, even though they have reach and contact point adjustments. They are adult levers. He is eight and his hands are really small, even smaller than Trump's. With the reach adjusted in so he can get a finger or two on them (he needs two, little fingers aren't as strong as ours), the contact point is so close to the bar that the end pinches his other fingers when braking hard. Gloves or not doesn't matter. The way the end is angled out, if they are moved any farther inboard he would be grabbing the hook, and that is too far away. Also can't move them in farther because it's a tapered bar and bulges out in the middle. I considered a different bar, but the angled end problem still exists, and this bar/stem combo is just right otherwise. I think sawing off about 3/4" or 1", rounding it off, and adding grip tape might help.

(Worth a try maybe. Also possible I already fixed it by the bleed, and I did move them in a little after ditching the remote fork lockout to make more room. He hasn't really ridden it yet since then.)

In this pic yesterday he's got the rear brake covered but not the front, because it was going almost to the bar before I put new pads and bled it.

Attachment:
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG [ 3.77 MiB | Viewed 6752 times ]

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Ehh...nevermind Evan. I got him to be patient while I fiddled with the reach adjustment some more. He had said he couldn't reach with them any farther out, but it wasn't true. Once I got the reach just a little farther out, and coached him to place his hands wider on the grips, it was okay. And will be until the pads wear down again. I think I just wanted to do some cutting, filing, and wrenching for fun. Thank you though.

Attachment:
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 6716 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider